Busy week at the Y — good stuff happening!
- Drop Out Prevention Program started this week. Don Heard designed a new mentorship program that positively supports high schools students. If a child has been absent more than 20x’s and has been picked up by authorities 2x’s or more, they qualify for this court ordered support group. On Wednesday evening, eleven kids heard a great motivational speaker from the Army and participated in basketball and swimming. If you are interested in speaking or volunteering, the next date is Wednesday, October 23rd from 5pm-8pm.
- New Potential Board Member: This week Matt and I met with Beth Tsvetkoff, Executive Director of the Ohio Alliance YMCA. She is not only leading our $1,000 individual gift campaign for 2014 but would like to be a part of our Board. I’ve attached her resume. We’ll discuss more at our October 24th meeting.
- Celebrating 90 Years of Impact: The Board’s subcommittee chairs met on Tuesday to discuss details of our celebration event. Each committee was assigned a task to complete. Save the date for Friday, May 2nd 5-7pm.
- Resident Senior Breakfast: This morning we honored our senior residents that with a hot pancake breakfast. Around 25 residents came down to play a good game of bingo and grab some grub. Picture on the right.
- Plans for a Permanent Overflow Shelter: Just in case you didn’t see the article in yesterday’s paper, CSB has asked our Y to run the permanent 24/7 full year overflow shelter that will be opening in 2014. This almost 300 bed unit will be located in Franklinton. We feel it’s an honor to be able to impact so many men and women in need.
Opportunities to Volunteer:
- Wednesday, October 16th- Join me in our monthly DRAC meeting from 6:30-7:30pm. Let’s get to know the Downtown Residential Community
- Thursday, November 21st – Special Improvement District meeting at 4pm. This is their annual meeting discussing topics in the Downtown area. It will be held at the Ohio Theater.
Remember: Board Meeting on Thursday, October 24th at noon!
Have a great weekend!